The drawers are slightly off center. They do not close properly. And it was in pretty rough shape when we moved in together. But it works well as a nightstand for his side of the bed and offers us extra storage space and since we do not have new bedroom furniture in our budget right now, I thought I'd repaint it. I have a blue-gray, shabby chic theme going in our bedroom so with Boyfriend's blessing I decided on a pretty blue. I've been using Behr paints lately and they have a great "Vintage Chic"line that I love. The specific color for this project was English Channel and you can find more info on that color here.
After a quick sand and the first coat of blue, I had to stop mid-project to run an errand. When I came back I noticed how cool the first paint coat looked with the old, stained wood peeking through. The brush strokes against the deep, cherry stain mixed with the vintage blue made the paint appear naturally aged. I was digging the look so I grabbed my electric hand sander and got to work. The electric sander is my latest and greatest DIY tool purchase and I am obsessed. This thing kicks ass. I can sand an entire piece of furniture in half the time it takes with paper sanding and I find the end result to be smooth and more even. This particular model offers ease working within tight corners and around edges.
I finished roughing up the corners and edges and went over the flat surface area a few times as well, moving in quick motions and going with the grain of the wood. Once I acheived the distressed look I wanted, I wiped away any excess dust with a soft cloth. The last step was to add a coat of polyurethane to the top of the dresser. I wanted a slight shine and also to offer some surface protection.
With the piece distressed and finished I set to work on the hardware. I wanted a soft, pretty accent against the antiqued paint so I settled on a creamy, white spray paint. I lined up each attachment and rotated between coats. Two light coats achieved a weathered, vintage look and once they were completely dry I used a low grit sandpaper to roughen up the edges.
I have to say, the end result of this project was exactly what I had in mind when I set out to complete. Its a great feeling to see a project through from start to finish and have it turn out exactly as you wanted. The dresser fits nicely into our room's decor which makes me happy and still offers Boyfriend a place to store his socks. Happy Boyfriend, Happy Bedroom, Happy Now.